Email is one of the most powerful tools we will use to grow our career. Often, it is the only way we will have to interact with prospects, many of whom will be in countries far away from your own. Follow these simple rules and you will have mastered the art of effective communication via email.
1) Be concise and to the point
2) Answer all questions, and pre-empt further questions
3) Make it personal. Use their name. People want to feel special!
4) Use a meaningful subject that grabs their attention
5) Use proper spelling, grammar & punctuation
6) Use active instead of passive words
7) Answer quickly
8) Use proper structure & layout. Make it easy on the eyes. Put some space between sentences or paragraphs.
9) Bullet points are very effective in pointing out benefits
10) Avoid long sentences
11) Write like you speak. Use plain, easy to understand English.
12) Do not write in CAPITALS. This is the equivalent of shouting at someone online
13) Take care with rich text and HTML messages
14) Read the email before you send it. Often you will find mistakes the 2nd time around
15) Do not overuse the high priority option. If used too much, it will lose its effectiveness
16) Do not overuse Reply to All
17) Avoid using URGENT and IMPORTANT
18) Don’t leave out the message thread
19) Do not request delivery and read receipts
20) Do not ask to recall a message
21) Do not copy a message or attachment without permission
22) Do not use email to discuss confidential information